Friday, February 22, 2008

The Watershed

Ever had a moment in your life where several different, seemingly completely unrelated thoughts come together, and you realize that the reason you learned all of those things is for just THAT moment?

I just had that. Let me explain, starting with "source material", if you will:

"In an avalanche, no single snowflake feels responsible." -- Nietzsche

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do." -- Helen Keller

What universal, ridiculously correct truths, with two very important applications: global warming, and Ron Paul.

First, for global warming -- I've found it easy to justify, in the past, my environmentally poor actions by saying "well, millions of other people do worse things -- and, in the big picture, what I'm doing has no tremendous impact on the environment, so what's the big deal?" You see what I'm getting at, here? I justify it, because there are so many other snowflakes, and neglect to recognize that even though I'm only one, I am denying myself the ability to do all that I can.

That stops, right now.

Second, for Ron Paul. Whenever people learn that I support him, no matter what their political views, without exception, their first statement is, "You know he's not going to win, right?"

You. Idiot.

What on earth is the point of saying that? You think you'll instantly change my political views, just by pointing out that perhaps he doesn't have the majority of votes in any particular state, you two-bit shitwad? Next time, before you open your mouth, consider what you're trying to accomplish with whatever it is you're spewing.

This is exactly what's wrong with American democracy: the media. People see the results of other states, and they say "aww, well, this guy's not gonna win anyway, I might as well not vote for him."

What the hell manner of idiocy is this? First off, just because they don't have as many votes does NOT mean they don't deserve as much media coverage, and this works both ways -- more votes means more media coverage, and more media coverage means more votes. Second, if you're voting for someone based on whether they're likely to win or not, why are you voting? Shit -- why is your half-braindead ass even breathing? Moron.

You have nothing to lose by voting for someone who is likely to lose. This is not Cuba: you will not be lined up against a wall and shot for failing to agree with the prevailing regime. What Americans need to do before they're allowed to vote, is demonstrate that they have researched and responsibly taken it upon themselves to understand what each and every candidate stands for, instead of letting themselves be swayed by emotional music videos and our ridiculously biased media.

I don't care who you vote for, as long as you genuinely, truly, completely understand every single thing that they stand for, and believe that they are the best -- not because that rally was really inspiring, not because that music video made you cry, not because he's black or white or asian or whatever-the-hell.

Got me?

Please, Americans. Think.

No comments: