Wednesday, April 25, 2007

When Locked Up, Bear Down...

I'm getting seriously restless. No offense to my parents, who I know work hard (or at least make plenty of money), but I really can't stand suburbia anymore. I probably can't even be sedentary. These surroundings are becoming way, way too familiar. I can't stand them.

That's why I think I want to join the Peace Corps. Travel around, meet new people, and make a serious difference in their lives.

That'd be some amazing material for stories, too, since I also definitely want to continue writing as I get older.

An interesting side-note in my life right now is my developing relationship with Kate -- we've been talking on the phone for ridiculous amounts of time, and I took her out last friday, then took her out for coffee yesterday. She seemed off today, and I feel like I need to find out why, whether it has to do with me or not.

It's not so much an obligation as a desire, to help her with whatever it is that's troubling her. Then again, some people call me old-fashioned, so I don't know. She let me read some of her stuff, and it's genuinely, truly, ridiculously amazing, and very well-written. Kate definitely has a future in writing ahead of her.

Another thing -- I listened to "A Change of Seasons" all the way through the other night, for the first time. It's an amazing piece of music, and the first truly inspiring song I've heard in a very long time. Too long, really.

So yeah. Now I have to wait for Kate to get off of work to call her and find out what's up.

Also -- I've been seriously looking at becoming a bush pilot in Africa. I'd purchase supplies from (potentially) American big-box retailers, and then distribute them to those who needed them most. Not sure what kind of airplane I'd fly yet, but I'm still just starting out on this idea.

I hope this isn't just that teenage idealism I hear adults talking about all the time, and that it will never, ever, wear off. This is who I want to be. I can't imagine living any other way than as someone who makes a genuine difference in the lives of others. And writes. And occasionally enjoys a good package of Pop Rocks, as I'm doing now. And attends Dream Theater concerts whenever possible.

No comments: